Current AI situation in dental clinics.
- AI adoption by dentists: 72% of dentists surveyed reported that they had already started using AI solutions in their practice, and 94% of them stated that they plan to broaden their use over the next two years. 1
- Industry practitioners' perspective on AI: 88% of dentists who use AI in their practice believe it has had a positive impact on patient care and clinical efficiency. 76% of patients reported an improvement in the quality of care following implementation of AI. 1
- AI adoption by patients: 68% of patients surveyed believe in the potential benefits of AI applications and 65% would be open to receiving dental treatment or diagnoses that incorporate AI in the future. 1
- Patients' perspective on AI: 10% of patients are willing to pay more for treatments that involve AI. This suggests that AI not only improves clinical care, but also adds perceived value for patients. 1
How can AI help in daily practice?
Accurate AI-driven diagnosis
One of the most notable developments is accurate AI-assisted diagnosis. According to the study1, AI systems outperformed human diagnosis in a staggering 94% of cavity detection cases. They also achieved 91% accuracy in the early identification of periodontal disease. This means that AI can help dentists to detect oral health problems in their early stages, which can lead to more effective treatments.1
Personalised and effective treatment planning
AI is also revolutionising treatment planning. The study1 found that 76% of patients reported being more satisfied with their treatment outcomes after AI was implemented in planning. 1
Intelligent automation to improve the patient experience
AI-based chatbots, like those offered by DentalBot, are gaining popularity in patient care2. According to the study, 64% of patients are comfortable interacting with chatbots within the context of healthcare. These chatbots can answer common questions, schedule visits and send appointment reminders, improving the patient experience and optimising clinic staff time. 82% of dental clinics that implemented chatbots reported a significant reduction in patient calls, allowing staff to focus on more critical work.1
Challenges and drawbacks of AI in dentistry
Despite the benefits that AI can bring us as dental practitioners, there are also challenges and contentious issues associated with AI in dentistry:
- Data privacy: 67% of dentists expressed concerns about the privacy and security of patient data, given the extensive use of data in AI. 1
- Relationships with patients: According to 72% of patients, their main concern about the incorporation of AI in dentistry is the "lack of human interaction during treatment".1
- Ethics and transparency: Ethics in AI decision-making is a critical issue, with 52% of dentists in the survey expressing concern about this point. 1
- Initial costs: The cost of implementing AI technology can be a hurdle for some dental clinics. 1
Where do I start implementing AI in my clinic?
If the findings of this study have encouraged you to start considering AI for your practice, this section will tell you about some of the AI available in dentistry:
- AI-assisted diagnostic radiology: Implement tools such as Denti.AI to analyse x-rays 3 or DentalXr AI4, which develops artificial intelligence solutions for the diagnosis and detection of dental cavities.
- Chatbots for patient care: Incorporate chatbots such as Zoobook Systems into your website or booking system to improve the patient experience5.
- Remote patient monitoring: Consider solutions like Toothpic6 or Dental Monitoring7 to allow patients to keep track of their oral health and share data with your clinic.7
As we have seen, AI is reshaping dentistry around the world, improving diagnosis, treatment planning and the patient experience. The facts and figures in the study show the positive impact of AI in dental practice, and the examples provided offer specific ways for you to start implementing these technologies in your clinic. However, you should always be mindful of the challenges and hurdles that remain in this new revolution.
- AI IN DENTISTRY SURVEY, Perceptions, Insights, and Possibilities https://www.dentaly.org/us/research/ai-in-dentistry/
- DentalBot https://dentalbot.pro/
- Denti.AI - https://www.denti.ai/
- Dentalxr AI https://www.dentalxr.ai/en/home/
- Zoobook Systems - https://zoobooksystems.com/
- Toothpic - https://www.toothpic.com/
- Dental Monotoring - https://dentalmonitoring.com/